Title

Getting MindTouch Deki Wiki working on Windows Server

This site is intended to read more like a series of instructions than a blog, so I would recommend using the Table of Contents on the right to navigate.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Introduction

I created an intranet for my organization in 2008.  After evaluating several packages, I settled on MindTouch Deki Wiki and have been happy with it.  I edited the code to customize a few things so I didn't keep up with upgrades.  Now, in 2017, we're looking to revamp it, but preferably stay on the same platform so we don't have to redo everything from scratch.  The plan was to make a second instance, copy the data over, and then work on that until its ready to replace the original.  And since we're doing this, we might as well upgrade to the latest version while we're at it.  Easy, right?

Wrong.  MindTouch has abandoned the project, though they helpfully released what they had on SourceForge.  Not so helpfully they also deleted all the instructions and forums and such on their site that you would need to get it working.  While there's a MSI installer it has bit rotted away and no longer works on recent versions of Windows Server.  I'm a stubborn sort, so with the help of notes I had written the first time around and some stuff salvaged from the Wayback Machine I was able to get it working on both Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

Since it was quite a pain to figure out (again, I'm stubborn) I figured I should share the instructions with the internet to help replace the stuff MindTouch threw away.  So without further ado, here's how you install MindTouch Core (Deki Wiki) 10.1.4 from source on Windows Server 2016 and 2008 R2.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Greg. It's nice to see someone still using Deki/Mindtouch-Core to good ends. I was sorry to be left behind as the company dropped little fish like me to go after the Enterprise, upping server requirements with every release until I couldn't afford it anymore, before abandoning even that for SaS only.

    I've been making do with Wordpress. The shoes don't fit well, but the platform is supported and small fish survive well. At least my thoughts get out there and shared, even if the walking is slow and cumbersome. ;-)

    ReplyDelete